Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls

I made PW's Cinnamon Rolls this weekend because we have the 3 of us, 2 temporary live in guests, and 4 guests for Saturday morning breakfast- we still had enough to take a plate to my in laws, a plate to my neighbors and freeze a plate!

I did half white flour and half wheat flour- noone could tell in the taste :) I also made one 9x12 tray full and then was able to make 3 9"inch aluminum pie plates full. 

I thought they were WAY to sugary- but everyone else seemed to love them.

Next time...
- let the dough rise in the fridge overnight as she suggested in a BIG bowl
- cut back the butter to 1 cup per roll (I used about 3/4 cup and I had way to much squishing out as we rolled them up)
- possibly look at melting the sugar and butter together and then smearing it on- I wasn't too thrilled about the gritty sugary taste- but noone else complained :)
- use Carissa's idea to cut with dental floss b/c mine were a bit squished
- make sure you put PLENTY of space- like 1 1/2 inches- between each roll
- if you don't put space in between, you need to add to the cooking time and watch carefully
- only make about half the icing b/c I threw a lot away

I can't wait to make these before the holidays and freeze them for future use :)

1 comment:

Janice Johnson said...

When I have made cinnamon rolls in the past, I always just softened my butter (for spreading) on the counter for a couple hours, then just spread it thick on the rolled out dough. Then it is not messy at all (although I have never used near this much butter as PW!) I would recomend not to melt the butter, but just spread it soft. I have not tried PW's yet though...but I will soon.