Friday, April 22, 2011

Skillet Vermicelli with Chorizo Sausage and Black Beans ~ page 150

I agree with Darby,...this was very delicious. I think the main intriguing thing about this recipe is that it is different...it is not like something I have made before. New taste and texture combos that I don't usually put together...spaghetti and black beans? That just sounds odd together...but trust me it works. I couldn't find chorizo in a link, only made fresh in the deli part of HEB. But I'm glad I found it that way because I think I really liked it and it was cheap. See photo below...my sausage came wrapped in butcher paper and looked like a hunk of ground beef!
I think the name of this dish is all wrong...first of all it is way too long. No recipe should have 8 words in the title! I like the title of the recipe that they got adapted it from..."Sopa Seca"...now that is just fun to say! I actually googled it...it is a Mexican pasta dish, our new name for it is Mexican spaghetti! It gets right to the point. I will definitely make this again...the kids gobbled it up even though I was a little heavy handed with the minced chipotles! Even though it looks like my pan was too big, when you dump all that pasta in you need the tall sides to stir it all together so that it doesn't all end up on the stove top. I think this might even be a great travel dish, if you had to take dinner to someone who maybe just had a baby or was sick. Loved it! --Carissa

1 comment:

Darby Hawley said...

This looks delicious! I'm hungry just looking at it :-)