Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chili Question

I have seen chipotle chilies in adobo sauce throughout this cookbook, but it is the first time I have run into this ingredient. I got brave and made a recipe using them tonight, but I’m not sure if I’m using the best thing. I used the brand La Costena that I found in the cultural section of the grocery store. Are there better options? Once you open a can how long do they last? What other tips could you offer advice on about this? Thanks for your help ladies!

4 comments:

Carissa said...

I think that is the brand I use..whatever is cheapest is usually what I use. I think it will keep a while in the fridge, but dump the extra from the can into a zip lock bag and freeze it, then just break off or cut hunks off as you need it. I bet you could even puree the rest of the sauce and peppers together and freeze it like a paste. I always keep a couple cans in my pantry.

Shannon Boyer said...

I do the same thing as Carissa - freeze and cut off chunks. You can do this for fresh Ginger as well- peel it before freezing :)

Morgan said...

thanks for asking this question, Darby! I will have to try the freezing thing. What I've been doing is just keeping it in the fridge for a week and I will make several recipes that call for it that week so that it doesn't go to waste! The freezing tip sounds like a better idea, though. And I also use the La Costena brand.

Phil and Darby Hawley said...

Y'all are awesome! Thanks so much for the tips! I'm feeling ready to tackle another dish with those chiles now :-)