Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chili Question

I have seen chipotle chilies in adobo sauce throughout this cookbook, but it is the first time I have run into this ingredient. I got brave and made a recipe using them tonight, but I’m not sure if I’m using the best thing. I used the brand La Costena that I found in the cultural section of the grocery store. Are there better options? Once you open a can how long do they last? What other tips could you offer advice on about this? Thanks for your help ladies!

4 comments:

Carissa said...

I think that is the brand I use..whatever is cheapest is usually what I use. I think it will keep a while in the fridge, but dump the extra from the can into a zip lock bag and freeze it, then just break off or cut hunks off as you need it. I bet you could even puree the rest of the sauce and peppers together and freeze it like a paste. I always keep a couple cans in my pantry.

Shannon Boyer said...

I do the same thing as Carissa - freeze and cut off chunks. You can do this for fresh Ginger as well- peel it before freezing :)

Morgan said...

thanks for asking this question, Darby! I will have to try the freezing thing. What I've been doing is just keeping it in the fridge for a week and I will make several recipes that call for it that week so that it doesn't go to waste! The freezing tip sounds like a better idea, though. And I also use the La Costena brand.

Darby Hawley said...

Y'all are awesome! Thanks so much for the tips! I'm feeling ready to tackle another dish with those chiles now :-)