These were so easy to make, though they did take a little while. And when you don't wake up early on a Saturday morning and breakfast ends up being closer to lunch time, they seem to take a looong time.
I think the batter makes more than 12. Here's the results of trying to fit all the batter in one muffin pan. They overflowed a bit and the tops were almost as big as the stumps.
The tops came off when I tried to get them out of the muffin pan. I tried to be gentle when extracting them, but there were still a few casualties.
Turns out after dipping them in butter and rolling them in sugar, they were too sweet to eat! James and I each ate one for "brunch" and decided to bring them to our home fellowship group for dessert that night! I cut off all the tops then quartered the stumps and tops, making a total of 8 bite-sized pieces out of each muffin. This made plenty for our church group with the kids begging their moms to get the recipe for these "cookies."