Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mom's Turkey Meatloaf ~ page 216

I passed on making Ina's and PW's meatloaf, but decided to give Ellie's a try! I was pretty impressed. Adam even got seconds, so that is always a good sign.

The recipe calls for 2 pounds of turkey...I had a turkey pkg that weighed about 1 and 1/4 lbs, then dug around in my freezer and found 1/2 lb of pork, and 1/4 lb of beef leftover from other cooking projects. So I did have a little variety in my meat. I think that probably added a little more flavor that just turkey would have done.


Above is my 5 year old so excited to do the messy job of mixing it all up! I kept finding raw meat on the floor, counter and the stool she was standing. But at least I didn't have to get my hands in it!

Above is the raw loaf before sauce, and below is the cooked loaf after sauce. Now, the sauce is the one thing that I did change. Ellie calls for a can of plain tomato sauce, that just seemed flavorless and boring, so I looked up another recipe that I have used before and used that sauce, it turned out yummy! It is 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 4 teaspoons of vinegar.

I would definitely make this again using my other sauce recipe. It even made enough for me to freeze another meal. --Carissa




No comments: