Saturday, September 25, 2010

Cornmeal-Crusted Roasted Ratatouille Tart ~ page 98


This fun tart has all my favorite roasted vegetable flavors--eggplant, zucchini, tomato, and basil. It seemed like it took a long time to make, as I had keep going back to read directions. But after you have done this once, you can almost do it from memory.
The recipe called for a tart pan with a removable bottom...but I just had a spring-form pan, like for cheesecake...so I used that, and it worked just fine. This is the crust pressed into the pan bottom.
I had to show off my pie weights--I bought them a year or more ago, and this was my first time I have actually had a chance to used them!
I think these long skinny eggplant work wonderful in this recipe.
Here it is out of the oven...
The flavor and appearance of the tart are wonderful. I do have an issue with the crust though...it was dry, soft, and not that tasty I thought. I believe you just need more fat than what this calls for, in order to make a good crisp and tasty crust. Next time, I will use my own pressed butter pie crust recipe, but perhaps substitute some cornmeal like this recipe has for crunch. Except for the crust though--I really like this recipe! I served this as our Saturday light lunch. My husband says he would like just a bit more cheese next time.

No comments: