Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Lemony Cream Cheese Frosting p. 285


These cupcakes are delicious! and good for you as well! I wish I had doubled the recipe because I had no leftovers and sounds like they are even better the next day.

I did not use walnuts just because I didn't have any! I thought the lemon zest in the icing added a great flavor. I did not need to add extra powdered sugar and found the icing amount to be just right. I have found the key to great cream cheese icing is to let it beat for about 5 minutes - will be creamy and smooth.

Janice - did you use the whole-wheat pastry flour or regular whole-wheat flour? I used the regular because didn't have pastry flour and am wondering if it is worth the purchase.

Will definitely be making these again!

2 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

I used white whole wheat flour, which is kind of similar to whole wheat pastry flour. I made my icing in the food processor, which makes it in about 30 seconds. But it was runnier than yours...so maybe that is why...? Did you use the low fat cream cheese she called for? I think that cheese is softer than cream cheese, so I wondered if that makes a difference. After I made these and tasted one, I immediately made another batch, knowing I would need them!I am happy to have a few leftovers to enjoy.

Lou Ann Chae said...

I used the low fat cream cheese but I will say it was not at room temp - didn't want to wait. Beating for 5 minutes in the mixer really does make for great icing - took me years to figure that out. This icing was also glossy and looked really good on the cupcakes. Will be making this again soon!