Saturday, April 24, 2010

Breakfast Bowls

I worried I didn't have all the ingredients for this recipe...but it did not seem to matter at all. It was wonderful just like I made it. I fixed this for 5 people....I used 6 eggs, and a good splash of low fat milk. I saw no need for the half and half. I had 3 bacon slices on hand, so browned those, then sautéed some onion, red pepper, and mushrooms in the bacon fat (didn't use any butter).
After spraying my bowls with Pam (which just made sense to me, though PW does not mention it), I divided this mixture between my bowls, along with the crumbled bacon, slightly chopped fresh spinach, and chopped up cheddar and Monterey jack cheese (I didn't bother to grate it).
Then I poured the beaten eggs and milk over it all and sent it to the oven to bake, and bake, and bake....Hmmm, I found that after several ins and outs of the oven, I think I baked these a total of 40 minutes. That is twice as long as the 15-20 that PW recommends. I am not sure what the problem was there...But in the end, they were delicious and cute, and a fun breakfast for guests (of Carissa and her girls!).

Because of the questionable baking time, I almost think these would be nice to pre-bake till jiggly, then refrigerate and heat up the next morning for a really simple breakfast. I will give that a try next time. I love to find ways to make a nice breakfast easy by doing much of it the day before.

Of course...you do have to have small oven-proof dishes for this recipe...which I think is probably not really common for most kitchens. I just bought 8 of these antique bowls about 8 years ago. I love adding this recipe idea to my collection! Just use what you like in an omelet...most any breakfast food will do!

2 comments:

Darby Hawley said...

That looks delicious!

Darby Hawley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.