Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Last Recipe--Roasted-potato fennel soup without the fennel


Well, I decided I needed one last recipe to post, but didn't want to go to the grocery store....so I shuffled through what I had and decided I could do the roasted potato fennel soup, but I would have to make some substitutions. I did have some leeks, so those stood in for the missing fennel. I also had a box of baby portabella mushrooms that needed to be used, so I decided to add those also. By the way, you have to read the intro to this recipe--it sounds so desperate, the pioneer woman could have written it: "I love to make this soup in the dead of winter when just about all you can find are potatoes and fennel..." (Good grief, just go to the grocery store Ina!)

Halfway through roasting my potatoes, I added the sliced mushrooms to roast along with them, then added the whole pan of roasted veggies to my sauteed onions and leeks and the broth. I did not find it needed to be simmered an hour as Ina said--within 30 min. it all was soft enough that I smashed it with a potato masher. This is when I realized the mushrooms were a very good idea. When mashing the potatoes, the skins came off and kind of floated separately in the soup. I don't think I would have liked a whole bite of just "skins," except that the mushrooms did not mash, so they were chewy along with the skins. And that made the skins easier and less noticeable to eat.

This soup was very nice. My husband, who does not like potatoes (weird, I know) even sort of liked it. Next time, I think I would only mash up half the potatoes--I kind of liked the potato chunks (although hubby will probably like it even less, if he can actually discern a potato in it...).

No comments: