Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Crab cakes

Here are all the veggies in Ina's crab cakes...4 stalks of celery! I think next time I make these I will cut out a little of the veggies so I can taste more of the precious $8 worth of crab meat.
Above is the crab I found at Walmart....it wasn't "lump" meat like Ina called for, but you can't get too picky when you are shopping for crab meat at Walmart!


I followed Shannon's advice and drained my veggies before adding them. Good thing too...they were so soft, I would recommend cutting the mayo in half for anyone else making these, that will make them stick together a bit better I bet.


I used an ice cream scoop to make even patties....



Then I did the other thing Shannon did...breaded them in more breadcrumbs...they were still VERY soft and delicate. They firmed up a little once I stuck them back in the fridge for 30 minutes once they were formed.






And here is the result...very pretty and yummy! The one big thing both Adam and I agreed on was that it needed a little "kick"...we dipped them in hot sauce as we ate them to add more heat. Next time I would add a little red pepper, or more Tabasco to the raw mixture.
Now, my 2 and 4 year old both spit them out and said "yucky"! I told them mommy wasn't cooking another dinner for them, and that they could just go to bed without dinner if they didn't like it...they took me up on that! I'm hoping I don't hear them at the crack of dawn begging for breakfast with rumbling tummys.
--Carissa


2 comments:

Janice Johnson said...

Those do look beautiful! What a shame the girls did not appreciate them--that is a bummer! (I would have liked a pic of their faces!)

Janice Johnson said...

Those do look beautiful! What a shame the girls did not appreciate them--that is a bummer! (I would have liked a pic of their faces!)