Prep: 20 mins Bake: 40 mins at 400°F Stand: 10 mins
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried fine herbs, crushed
- 3 cups cubed cooked beef or lamb
- 1 10 ounce package frozen mixed vegetables*, cooked
- 1 8 ounce can small whole onions, drained
- 1/2 cup rose wine or beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups seasoned mashed potatoes
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions1. In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk and fines herbes. Cook and stir over medium heat until sauce thickens and bubbles. Stir in meat, vegetables, onions, wine, and pepper. Pour into a 2-quart casserole. Spoon mashed potatoes around the edge.
2. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle top with cheddar cheese and bake about 10 minutes more or until mixture is bubbly and potatoes are brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
- Note: * Save some time by substituting a package of frozen peas for the mixed vegetables and omit the precooking. Just stir in the frozen peas.