Saturday, November 19, 2011

Apple Chips

Another recipe I came across on Pinterest....apple chips!  I have never eaten or even heard of apple chips, to be honest.  Is that crazy?  These are so simple to make, you have got to try them if you like apples!  I really made them to see if my 2-year-old son would like them because he loves apples.  But, I should have known he wouldn't even try them (picky eater!).  I said "Caleb, look - mama made you some apple chips!"  (thinking I'd get him to try them because I called them "chips" - ha!)  No such luck.  He took one look at them at said "Don't like it!!"  (his new favorite saying).  Oh well, more for me!  Seriously, though - he wouldn't even touch them.  He actually ran away from me.  I guess they do look a little odd and not what he is used to apples looking like.

I did not use sugar - only cinnamon.  Also, now that I am reading this again, I forgot to spray mine with canola oil, oops!!  They still turned out delicious!  I baked mine for 2 1/2 hours and found that the ones on the bottom of the oven crisped sooner.  Oh, and 2 large apples doesn't make many chips in my opinion...but it's a start!  My hubby sliced them in the mandoline for me so I did not have to cut my fingers off trying to slice them thin with a knife.  How would you even do that?!

Isn't this a beautiful picture?  I wish I could say that I took it, but I didn't.  I borrowed it from Vittles & Bits, where the recipe came from. 


Apple Chips
  • 2 large apples, cored (I used Red Delicious)
  • 2 T. sugar (optional)
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • canola oil spray

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Thinly slice apples crosswise about 1/8-inch (2 mm) thick with a mandoline or sharp knife. Arrange apple slices in a single layer on two parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets, and spray with canola oil cooking spray.

If using sugar, combine in a small bowl with cinnamon. Put mixture into a sieve and sprinkle evenly over apple slices.

Bake in the top and bottom third of the oven until apples are dry and crisp, about 2 hours (mine took a little longer than that to get crisp, but I didn't use sugar). Remove from oven and let ‘chips’ cool completely before transferring to a sealed container for up to 3 days. Makes about 2 cups of apple chips.

No comments: